Our Guide to Swimwear Care
Unsure of the best way to show your AB swimwear some love? We know fabrics can take a beating from pool chemicals, sand, high temperatures, and sunscreen. Follow our guide to looking after your swimsuits and bikinis and you’ll see our products take you from vacation to vacation, year to year.
What you need to know: Sunscreens contain ingredients that can be damaging to fabrics, and mineral-based lotions and oil-based products can cause yellowing over time if swimsuits aren’t washed and looked after properly.
Our main tip? Wash your swimwear after every wear, even if you don’t go in the water!
If you’re taking a dip in the pool, beware of chlorine. It’s harsher on swimwear fabrics than fresh and saltwater, and can fade bright colours.
For best results, wash your swimsuit by hand:
- Fill your sink with cold water and add one capful of mild detergent if you have some. This will protect the colours of your AB swimwear and safely eliminate oils and chemicals without damaging any fibres.
- If you don’t have access to detergent, rinse your swimwear in freshwater.
- Leave your swimwear to soak in for up to 30 minutes, then rinse with cool water. Any longer can loosen the fibres!
- To dry, gently roll your suit in a clean dry towel, lightly pressing to remove any excess water.
- Our tip tip? Never wring out your swimsuit. This can damage the material’s fibres.
- When you’re finished, lay your swimwear flat to dry, out of direct sunlight - this can cause fading.
- Try to avoid putting your swimwear in the tumble dryer, as the heat weakens the elasticity of the fabric.
- Be cautious of where you hang your swimwear to dry, as this can alter the shape. We recommend laying on a flat surface, out of the sun.
- Lastly, avoid sitting on rough surfaces like the concrete by the pool, as this might pluck or bob the fabric.
Don’t forget to share your swimwear looks from across the globe by sending us a virtual #ABPostcard on Instagram by tagging us in your snaps!